Friday Faves #2 + Plank Burner Workout
Happy FriYAY!! We made it through another week guys. This is about to be me tomorrow afternoon-
Don’t worry, I’ll be waking up early to get in a long run with my bestie before we go to the wineries. And that, my friends, is #balance. Anyways, it’s time for the weekly Friday Faves post. Here are some things from this week that I have been loving:
1. Country Archer Teriyaki Beef Jerky. I’m not even a jerky person, but this stuff is great. Plus, bonus that it comes from grass-fed beef. This is a great on-the-go snack option for some added protein!
2. This marinade I used to make this tri-tip from Butcher Box. I feel like a damn grill master when I look at this photo. I did that by myself y'all.
3.Swimming! I had to swim once a week leading up to the Wodapalooza competition back in January. Crazy enough, I started to really look forward to my time in the pool. I decided to keep it in the routine since I don’t want to lose that endurance. Who knows, I may train for a triathlon one day ;).
4. Smoothies: With the warmer weather finally here to stay, a smoothie makes the perfect post-workout snack. Mine are typically either cookies and cream protein powder + ice + almond milk or vanilla protein + half a banana + handful of frozen strawberries + almond milk.
5. Cruise planning: We recently booked a Royal Caribbean Cruise for this June. I am STOKED. I’ve never been on a cruise before but I am reading ALL the cruise blogs to prep and I can’t wait to write a bunch of blog posts afterwards with workouts and meals from my travels. Let me know all your cruise tips in the comments. We are going to be total newbs!
6. Rewatching the entire Game of Thrones series to get ready for the FINAL SEASON this weekend. I love me some Tyrion, Dany, and Jon Snow. Just such incredible television.
7. Japanese Sweet Potatoes. I love these things. The only place I’ve been able to find them is Whole Foods, but they are worth the trip. I’ve made them into fries, and baked them. Both ways are bomb. It’s the perfect healthy carb to add to lunches or dinners.
8. Garage gym workouts! I’ve been super busy studying for my NASM personal training recertification test and putting together new content for this site, so sometimes it just works out better to sweat it out at home.
9. This Plank Burner core workout. If you are a planking pro, reduce the rest time to 15 seconds between movements and rounds, or make the elbow plank and high planks 60 seconds and keep the rest the same.
*For this workout, you will do each plank version for 30 seconds, then rest for 30 seconds for 3 rounds back to back!
Elbow plank- Make sure to keep your elbows in line with your shoulders, and your hips level (not sagging down or pitched up like a teepee), in other words, squeeze your core (butt and abs).
Side plank- still on your elbow, just one now, turned to the side. Keep your hips high, elbow in line with your shoulder. Feet can be stacked (harder) or staggered (for balance). Do this on each side.
High plank- think top of push-up position. Same rules as elbow plank.
Side plank with reach thru- Back in side plank, reach your free arm underneath your body, then rotate and reach high above your body. Feet again can be stacked or staggered. Do this on each side.