Good morning, friends! I hope everyone is off to a great start to a short holiday week. After a weekend of celebrating, Shawn and I have hit the ground running with preparations for our trip across the US. Let's just say I am definitely looking forward to the Fourth of July holiday this week, as it will be a much needed break from the stress of packing. That day we are planning to workout with our CrossFit crew, see a movie, and grill out. I am excited to enjoy one more fun day with my boys before they head out to Denver together on Friday. I'm staying behind in Georgia for one extra week so that I can attend my childhood bestie's bachelorette party next weekend and tie up a few more loose ends before making moves. Big things ahead!
Last weekend we celebrated Shawn's new job and our next steps in life at Chop's and Hops right outside of Athens. It was the perfect little spot for a date night. The restaurant's menu contained so many tasty, healthy options that I had a difficult time choosing what to eat! I was impressed with all of their veggie options, and all of their steaks sounded amazing. My lamb chops, roasted cauliflower, and garlic green beans were incredible. This is the perfect example of preparing ahead, y'all! I must have looked up 20 menus before I decided on this place. Search for places to eat in your area based on the type of food you're looking for. It's smart to check reviews, know about a restaurant's food quality, scan through menus, and choose somewhere that offers healthy dishes or somewhere that allows you to customize your meal to make it healthier!
Saturday, I planned a day with my Mom at the pool. We played cards, drank champagne, and I made this for our dinner:
Don't let this delicious looking picture fool you. It only took about 20 minutes to put this beautiful, nutritious meal together. I can't say enough good things about it. Lean protein, tons of veggies, fresh spices, flavor galore....the list goes on. I personally hate cleaning, deveining, and pealing shrimp, so if I were to make this meal again, I would absolutely buy pre-peeled shrimp at the store. It is worth the extra money to me. I also buy pre-riced cauliflower rather than using my food processor to do it. It creates a mess that I'm not really willing to put in the time to clean. If you're into cleaning extra, unnecessary messes, then by all means, buy a head of cauliflower and rice it yourself by placing it in a food processor. You go, Glen Coco.
I hate cleaning. Can someone please just come be my permanent dish washer, counter wiper, trash taker outer? I would cook you all the things in return. Anyways, make this recipe today, tomorrow, or both, whatever....I would.
Lemon Garlic Shrimp and Asparagus
1.5 pounds medium or large raw shrimp (peeled, deveined)
2 TBSP grass-fed butter or ghee
6 cloves garlic, minced (or heaping tablespoon of minced garlic)
1 pound asparagus
1 TBSP olive oil
1. Heat butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Once melted, add shrimp and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook shrimp for about 2 minutes per side.
3. While shrimp is cooking, add minced garlic, Italian seasoning, onion powder, and paprika. Stir shrimp well.
4. Once shrimp has cooked on both sides, remove from heat and place shrimp on a plate or dish and cover with foil.
5. Return pan to heat and add olive oil.
6. Add asparagus to the pan, season with salt, and allow to cook for approximately 6 minutes, or until tender.
7. Once asparagus has finished cooking, add the shrimp back to the pan. Squeeze the lemon juice over the shrimp and asparagus, sprinkle with parsley, and allow the dish to simmer for about 2 more minutes.
**If you are a good multitasker, you can have the cauliflower rice cooking at the same time so that it is ready to go when your shrimp is done!
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
1 package pre-riced cauliflower or 1 head of cauliflower (riced)
1/2 yellow onion (finely chopped)
1 TBSP olive oil
3 cloves garlic (minced) or 1 TBSP minced garlic
1/4 cup chicken broth
Sea salt (to taste)
Sprinkle of cumin
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for about 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant.
3. Add the cauliflower, half of your cilantro, salt, cumin, and chicken broth. Stir until well combined.
4. Turn the heat up to high and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Reduce heat back to medium and add the juice from your lime. Mix well.
5. Season with additional salt to taste, mix in the remaining cilantro, and continue to stir and cook until warm (about 2-3 more minutes).
There you have it. Another outstanding, nutrient dense meal for your pleasure. Please let me know if you try it out! I hope you guys love it as much as I did!
While you guys get to cookin', I'll just be over here soaking up my last few days in Georgia with this guy and my pup. Can't believe I'm going to have to be apart from my dog for 10 whole days.
It's going to be torture. I guess I'll miss Shawn some too...Anyways, see you guys tomorrow with a Wednesday Workout! Enjoy the summer sunshine and heat and get after some fitness today!